WikiMatrix

#1 2007-10-04 22:45:24

ejstutz
Member
Registered: 2007-10-03
Posts: 4

What about a Shared Host install?

Let me start by saying that this product rocks.  However, I have been reviewing the DekiWiki documentation for Virtual Private Server installation and I have to admit that I am a little lost.  The install instructions seem to be far more complex than other Wikis. 

DekiWiki seems to be pushing hard for the VMware install which I can understand.  However I have a host already and would like to work with DekiWiki using the resource I am already paying for.

Has anyone had success installing with a shared host?

Thanks.

Offline

 

#2 2007-10-05 00:22:25

cjtannu
Member
From: San Diego, CA
Registered: 2006-10-18
Posts: 247
Website

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

ejstutz,

  We actually have a  hosted version of Deki Wiki that will have a lot of the functionality that Deki Wiki has in about another month or so when we re-launch it.  Otherwise we are always working hard here at MindTouch to push the boundaries of our software.  If you have downloaded our software then make sure you add yourself to our mailing list so you can receive notifications.  Otherwise email me your info at coreyg at mindtouch dot com

Thanks


Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

Offline

 

#3 2007-10-05 00:31:16

ejstutz
Member
Registered: 2007-10-03
Posts: 4

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

That's great!  I look forward to the update and will get on your mailing list.

When you say it "will have a lot of the functionality that Deki Wiki has" do you mean that it will not have all the functionality of the current version?  I really like the functionality of Deki Wiki and hope that it will not be a crippled version.  Could you highlight what may be excluded from this release (if anything).

Thanks again.

Offline

 

#4 2007-10-16 11:13:31

sc123
Member
Registered: 2007-10-16
Posts: 1

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

I'd like to know as well, as I can't get anything but the VM image to work, and that only in Windows.  I'd really like to make DekiWiki my production wiki, but I can't until I can find a better way to implement it!  Please update us on this post!

Offline

 

#5 2007-10-31 02:16:35

Roebot
Member
Registered: 2007-10-31
Posts: 4

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

ejstutz wrote:

That's great!  I look forward to the update and will get on your mailing list.

When you say it "will have a lot of the functionality that Deki Wiki has" do you mean that it will not have all the functionality of the current version?  I really like the functionality of Deki Wiki and hope that it will not be a crippled version.  Could you highlight what may be excluded from this release (if anything).

Thanks again.

It will _not_ be a crippled version other than you will not be able to provide your own custom extensions. Nov 8th. If you want a free Pro version (more storage, custom domain, editable HTML regions for providing your own ad engine scripts) go participate here: http://wiki.blogworldexpo.com , time is running out.

Offline

 

#6 2007-10-31 02:17:39

Roebot
Member
Registered: 2007-10-31
Posts: 4

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

sc123 wrote:

I'd like to know as well, as I can't get anything but the VM image to work, and that only in Windows.  I'd really like to make DekiWiki my production wiki, but I can't until I can find a better way to implement it!  Please update us on this post!

You should have no problem installing from source code on Windows or Linux. We provide a complete install guide for Debian and several other have been provided by the community for other distros. Find out more here: http://wiki.opengarden.org

Last edited by Roebot (2007-10-31 02:18:04)

Offline

 

#7 2007-10-31 02:21:52

Roebot
Member
Registered: 2007-10-31
Posts: 4

Re: What about a Shared Host install?

ejstutz wrote:

Let me start by saying that this product rocks.  However, I have been reviewing the DekiWiki documentation for Virtual Private Server installation and I have to admit that I am a little lost.  The install instructions seem to be far more complex than other Wikis. 

DekiWiki seems to be pushing hard for the VMware install which I can understand.  However I have a host already and would like to work with DekiWiki using the resource I am already paying for.

Has anyone had success installing with a shared host?

Thanks.

Thanks for the compliment. MindTouch will soon be providing the ability to install on shared servers, reasonably priced enterprise hosting, and free shared hosting. Tune in at the MindTouch dev community (opengarden) for more info as it comes out. Make sure we have your email (send us an email from the MindTouch.com contact form) and you'll receive notifications as we make them. Thanks for your interest.

Offline

 

You are not logged in.


Board footer

Powered by PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB