WikiMatrix

#1 2006-05-02 18:33:22

djiles

Is DokuWiki for me?

smileI'm just dipping my toe into the wiki waters so bear with me. If my questions are too elementary for this forum just let me know and I'll bow out gracefully.

I want to know if DokuWiki will suit my needs. Here is the project.

I wrote a training manual that is used by New Mexico prosecutors. It was published in hard copy form but is now out of date. I think an easily updatable internet version would be a better approach than physically publishing a new edition. The book is currently in WordPerfect format. If published as a wiki it would eventually be available either on the internet or by way of our prosecutors' intranet. All the offices use Microsoft hardware and software with the exception of WordPerfect. Users have MS Windows 2000 at their stations.

Could I somehow import the book directly into DokuWiki and then clean it all up to make it work properly?
Would it be fully searchable?
Could I allow for comments by readers but not allow them to update the text itself?

I have other questions but these should get me started.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Darrel

#2 2006-05-03 15:48:46

topgnu

Re: Is DokuWiki for me?

Since you don't want one document like you had in WordPerfect, you are going to organize everythin in seperate pages. You can copy & paste everything from your WordPerfect document into the Wiki pages. You then do the formatting and the links to other pages.

It is fully searchable by definition.

You can allow for comments, but obviously not on the page itself. You can organize this by making parallel "discussion" pages for every page. (e.g. the Monobook template). The readers have read permission in all namespaces except for the discussion namespace where they have update permission.

Last edited by topgnu (2006-05-04 13:08:45)

#3 2006-05-03 19:03:18

djiles

Thank you for the help. I'll look into the mono book template.

Darrel

#4 2006-07-18 16:50:49

kibi

You may install blog plugin http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:blog and write ~~DISCUSSION~~ in your pages. Enable ACL plugin http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:acl and set all your pages in readonly mode for all usrs except admin. After all you should get what you want - original book changeable only by you and comments at all pages.

You are not logged in.

Board footer