WikiMatrix
  • Forum
  •  » TWiki
  •  » HELP! Renamed "TWiki" web, everything is broke!

#1 2007-02-09 18:39:48

wavedistribution

HELP! Renamed "TWiki" web, everything is broke!

Okay, I'm praying this is one of those big things with a simple fix.  As I'm organizing my web structure, I wanted to have what was the TWiki web become "WaveDistribution", and have 3 subwebs under that.

So I went to WebPreferences, renamed TWiki into WaveDistribution, and everything immediately fell to pieces.  There are broken references to TWiki everywhere, the WebPreferences for WaveDistribution does not have the web rename topic so I can't rename it TWiki again, the left side toolbar is gone, access is denied to the sandbox where all my topics are located, waiting to be assignd to the right webs, and mostly everything is just plain fubar.

I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.  Help!

Greg

#2 2007-02-09 19:28:27

wavedistribution

Re: HELP! Renamed "TWiki" web, everything is broke!

Now that I've actually done this, I see after the fact that people have had this problem before, and that there is a configuration/preference tweak that needs to be done in addition to the Rename.  The problem I'm having is that I can't get at this preference, everything is broken and most of the preferences don't appear on the preference page.  In particular, the Tools section is gnoe, so I can't rename the Web TWiki (am I wrong in hoping that would be a quick fix for all the broken-ness?).

This is pretty frustrating, and in my opinion the documentation for the Renaming Web topic really ought to draw attention to the preference issue in a big way.  A few simple words could avoid this whole mess for people, it's puzzling.

Again, I appreciate any help someone could give me on this one.  I think I have to pack it in for the day here at work, I can't make any progress on this project : (

Greg

Last edited by wavedistribution (2007-02-09 19:34:43)

#3 2007-02-09 21:03:44

PeterThoeny
Website

Re: HELP! Renamed "TWiki" web, everything is broke!

Please ask support questions in the Support web at TWiki.org.

To restore, you can manually rename back the topic on the file level: twiki/data/WaveDistribution to twiki/data/TWiki, and twiki/pub/WaveDistribution to twiki/pub/TWiki. If you rename the TWiki system web, make sure to specify that in configure. For easier upgrade later on I do not recommend to rename the TWiki system web. You can simplify the skin if you want your users to participate only in one web.

-- Peter AT StructuredWikis DOT com - http://www.structuredwikis.com/ - http://twiki.org/

• Forum
  •  » TWiki
  •  » HELP! Renamed "TWiki" web, everything is broke!

You are not logged in.

Board footer