WikiMatrix

#1 2006-09-10 10:43:48

Furstbariclation

Content Managemnt System (CMS) vs Wiki

I'm meaning to use a wiki as a form of content management system. It'll mainly be my personal wiki, existing on my desktop at home (windows) and laptop (OS/X) so I'll need to have one that sychronises well across systems anyway.

I'm interested in the more general question, though. I realise that a wiki is not intended to be a CMS and making it one could compromise the essential simplicity and light-weight nature of a wiki. However, two particular points interest me:

- Is much work being done on distributed wikis? I'll be doing some collaboration with other people. The easy, but clumsy, solution would be to have a wiki for each collaboration. I'd rather, though, have one wiki on my system that I can divide into domains and share each one with a different selection of content for different groups. Members of the groups would do the same, so no wiki would be the same as any other. I'd see the content being supplied on-demand, rather than sychronised, unless a priority item (like the index, of course). RSS seems to be a good mechanism to allow this.

- Similar to the above, as in a real CMS, I'd like to keep status labels on end documents (when updated, expired, sensitive, public, encrypted, local, distributed, etc. etc.). To be useful, this would need to be easily configurable to numbers of different sorts of status - and the rules would need to be easy to write and portable. XML seems a good model to underlie this. You may imagine (and it may indeed be), ridiculous to load these on a current wiki, but, from another point of view, it is just an extension of current housekeeping that checks that two people aren't maintaining the same page.

For completeness, I'd like to add the obvious - that I'd want statistics kept on all the above that I could configure to my requirements.

I'd be interested in any positive suggestions on this!!

#2 2006-09-19 02:01:07

PeterThoeny
Website

Re: Content Managemnt System (CMS) vs Wiki

On "dividing a wiki into domains and share each one with a different selection of content for different groups":

That depends on the wiki you are using.

1. You could share content in one namespace and use some type of categorization, such as:
* CategoryCategory: Simple convention to group related content
* Content tagging: Categorize content in free form, by the users

Use a special report to list all pages of a certain category. Examples from TWiki.org:
* CategoryEditing - listing topics of category "Editing"
* Tag:rendering - listing extensions tagged with "rendering"

Similar reports can be done in RSS form.

2. Use a wiki that supports different namespaces, such as Confluence, DokuWiki, MediaWiki, TWiki, or XWiki (compare them).

In TWiki, namespaces are called webs. Each web is like an independent wiki, with the advantage that (1) users need to register only once, (2) you can separate content of different groups (such as content for engineering, marketing, tech pubs etc), (3) you can link easily across webs to link to related content of other teams or other subject areas. For example, the primary webs on twiki.org are the Main web (for users and groups), TWiki web (for documentation), Codev web (for development), Plugins web, Support web, and Sandbox web.

On "keeping status labels on end documents (when updated, expired, sensitive, public, encrypted, local, distributed, etc.)"

Many wikis keep some type of meta data, such as creation date, last update date, author info etc. TWiki offers TWikiForms feature where you can add additional meta-data to a page. For example, all pages in the Support web have a small form that keeps track of the support status (question asked, assigned, answered, or closed unanswered), as can be seen for example in the ReadOnlyEnvironmentVariables support question.

See also TWiki at WikiMatrix and TWiki in Docs-Wiki

-- Peter AT StructuredWikis DOT com - http://www.structuredwikis.com/ - http://twiki.org/

You are not logged in.

Board footer