WikiMatrix
  • Forum
  •  » MindTouch
  •  » Watch Out! Deki can NOT be installed on shared hosting.

#1 2007-10-20 18:32:10

mycalrp

Watch Out! Deki can NOT be installed on shared hosting.

I liked DekiWiki best of all the 40 or so wikis I looked at.  HOWEVER, after wasting 3 days of internal tech time and consulting 3 outside experts, it appears certain that DekiWiki can NOT be installed on shared hosting -- which is what the vast majority of us have.  You can install it on your desktop computer and you can install it on a dedicated server, because you control the server and can add the elements (such as mono) that you need. But, as an almost universal rule, it is just not possible to install DekiWiki on shared hosting. 

If someone can refute this information, I would love to know how to install DekiWiki on a commercial shared server (like 1 And 1, or HostGator, etc.). 

thommycal@gmail.com

#2 2007-10-21 00:18:51

cjtannu
Website

Re: Watch Out! Deki can NOT be installed on shared hosting.

At this time you cannot install Deki Wiki on a shared host.  As stated, the requirement of Mono and other plugins aren't common in standard shared hosting environments.  We will be coming out with a hosted version of Deki Wiki in a month here.

Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

#3 2007-10-27 21:53:35

e2l

cjtannu wrote:

We will be coming out with a hosted version of Deki Wiki in a month here.

Thats mean, that I'd be able to install Deki Wiki at a shared hosting provider (php/mysql)?

#4 2007-10-31 02:23:32

Roebot

e2l wrote:

Thats mean, that I'd be able to install Deki Wiki at a shared hosting provider (php/mysql)?

Cjtannu is describing our new free and pro hosted services we'll be launching. This will be a full featured version, other than you will not be able to provide your own custom extensions. Nov 8th. If you want a free Pro version (more storage, custom domain, editable HTML regions for providing your own ad engine scripts) go participate here: http://wiki.blogworldexpo.com , time is running out.

As for an installer for shared servers, soon very soon...

#5 2007-11-04 17:54:50

Ross

mycalrp,

Maybe you didn't know that wik.is offers pro DekiWiki hosting accounts with your own domain name for only $60 a year. I would call that a pittance for what you yourself describe as the best out of 40 wikis, and a lot of piece of mind when it comes to security and the other issues you'll have with hosting any wiki on a shared server. Similar hosted WYSIWYG wiki solutions, with less users and less disk space, can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars a month.

XWiki and MoinMoin offer a similar WYSIWYG editor and a similar look-n-feel but good luck getting either of those up and running on a shared server with no root access. After installing the DekiWiki VMware package on Windows XP (see what a no-brainer that is below) I would have to say it has the best WYSIWYG editor I've seen in a wiki, even so despite the fact that others may have more features. It's very straightforward and it takes cut-n-paste from html and Word extremely well. I don't like having the comments/discussion/images/files appear on the same page as the article (bloggy looking in my opinion) but overall I'm beginning to think DekiWiki is probably the most user friendly wiki out there.

These install instructions show how easy it is to try it out on your desktop:

STEP 1 - Install VMware Player
If you're installing on Windows click here to install the VMware Player  1, 2. Note: you may be asked you to confirm accessing this file, click Ok and allow access to the installer.  If you are installing on Mac OS X (Intel-based) or Linux you will need to download the appropriate VMware Player from VMware.

STEP 2 - Boot Deki Wiki
Launch VMware Player. Browse to the "MindTouch_Deki_Wiki" folder , select the "Deki_Wiki_Hayes_1.8.2_VM.vmx" file, and click Open. You may be asked if you wish to "Create", click "Ok". MindTouch Deki will boot in the VMware Player. Note: While using Deki Wiki you must keep the VMware Player running. Closing VMware "turns off" Deki Wiki.

STEP 3 - You're almost done!
The network address of your new Deki Wiki is shown in the VMware Player. This is a number similar to: http://192.168.1.122. Launch your preferred Internet Browser  3. Type this address into your Internet browser's address bar. Complete the MindTouch Deki Wiki installation survey by providing details about your deployment environment. All done!

#6 2007-11-19 16:18:03

e2l

Roebot wrote:

As for an installer for shared servers, soon very soon...

is there any date?
and what does an install on a shared hosting provider need? LAMP?

#7 2007-12-11 23:45:43

cjtannu
Website

is there any date?

We will be shooting to have this out in our release after next.  The environment will need to be LAMP.  Wik.is is available right now here: http://wik.is and you can add a custom domain to it too.

Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

#8 2007-12-15 02:11:15

Ross

cjtannu wrote:

is there any date?

We will be shooting to have this out in our release after next.  The environment will need to be LAMP.  Wik.is is available right now here: http://wik.is and you can add a custom domain to it too.

Do you have an ETA on that?

#9 2008-06-26 13:16:27

tournicotee

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if it's still right that we can't use dekiwiki on shared hosting.
I am very interesting in dekiwiki but I have to admit that it's less interessant if we can't use it on shared hosting.
Let me know of the last version of Dekiwiki let us use shared hosting.

Have a nice day.
Tournicotee

#10 2008-06-26 17:07:35

cjtannu
Website

Tournicotee,

I know there are a couple of Shared Hosting companies available that have MindTouch Deki installed on them, the prerequisite is that Mono is included in the shared hosting environment.  Without Mono you can't install it.  We still have http://wik.is available for signups and you can install MindTouch Deki on a VPS(Virtual Private Server).  If you have any other questions please feel free to contact MindTouch directly:  http://wiki.mindtouch.com/support

Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

#11 2008-06-27 11:44:38

tournicotee

So it means that I probably want be able to use DekiWiki with 1&1, isn't it?

#12 2008-06-27 17:26:26

cjtannu
Website

You could install it on one of their VPS or Dedicated Servers.  The VPS start at $29/month so that may be the option you want to consider.

Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

#13 2008-07-14 21:43:24

e2l

cjtannu wrote:

is there any date?

Are you still trying to release a version, that can be installed at a shared hoter (LAMP)?

#14 2008-07-14 21:52:47

cjtannu
Website

Unfortunately at this time it is not on the roadmap for the next 2 releases.  I encourage you to add it to our list of features here: http://wiki.developer.mindtouch.com/Min … uggestions

Corey Ganser
Customer Support Manager
MindTouch

• Forum
  •  » MindTouch
  •  » Watch Out! Deki can NOT be installed on shared hosting.

You are not logged in.

Board footer