• Forum
  •  » DokuWiki
  •  » Any reason to choose DoKuWiki over MediaWiki?

#1 2008-02-15 23:34:11

jimluu

Any reason to choose DoKuWiki over MediaWiki?

Sorry about the newby question.  I'm looking to integrate a wiki into my website.  I've narrowed my choice b/w doku and mediawiki.  I'm attracted to mediawiki because its so popular and I'm used to viewing wikipedia.  I'm concerned about it being difficult to use/update.  Is Dokuwiki much easier to use and administer?   I also want to integrate a wiki with my vbulleting forum.  Can I do this with Dokuwiki?

#2 2008-02-16 00:18:13

andi
Administrator
Website

Re: Any reason to choose DoKuWiki over MediaWiki?

Many people consider DokuWiki to be easier to use. If that's the case for you, you have to try.

Remember, MediaWiki is always developed with Wikipedia in mind. If your goal is similar to Wikipedia's then this might be fine. If not, other wikis like DokuWiki might be the better choice.

For VBulletin integration see http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:tips:in … etin_3.5.x

Careful: I'm the lead developer of WikiMatrix and DokuWiki so my posts may be biased ;-)

#3 2008-02-16 04:02:14

jimluu

Thanks Andi for the quick reply.

I do have one more question.  Is there anyway to remove the 'register' function?  Basically, some user in my vbulletin forum would request permission to edit wiki.  I would like the be the only one who can register new users.  Users can then log in with name/password that I assign to wiki.  They can't register to wiki by them selves.  Is this possible?

#4 2008-02-16 08:30:48

andi
Administrator
Website

Yes, that's possible. Simply disable the register action. For details refer to the documentation.

Careful: I'm the lead developer of WikiMatrix and DokuWiki so my posts may be biased ;-)

#5 2009-02-13 01:44:22

CAD2

andi wrote:

For VBulletin integration see http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:tips:in … etin_3.5.x

Will this work for the latest version of vBulletin? Is there a more updated version?

Thanks

#6 2009-02-16 09:10:31

andi
Administrator
Website

Try it. If it doesn't work, it is probably just a matter of finetuning the SQL-Statements.

• Forum
  •  » DokuWiki
  •  » Any reason to choose DoKuWiki over MediaWiki?

You are not logged in.

Board footer