#1 2008-06-03 13:01:17

FrancesTheMute

Doku Wiki - the right choice?

Hi there

I want to relauch our sport clubs homepage. We are 6 teams and we want to have a unrestricted information area [readable for everyone] as well as a restriced area [readable for all team members, editable by the 6 team leaders (adresses, phone number etc)]. No big thing, so text files should do it.

A friend recommended OddMuse, because it's easy to setup and learn, but as I have seen in WikiMatrix, there are no login possibilities. I have experience in html, css, python (basics), but I am entirely new to wikis. Could DokoWiki be the right choice for me? How easy is it to learn (on a scale from 1 to 10 - or compared to OddMuse)?

Thanks
Frances

Last edited by FrancesTheMute (2008-06-03 13:01:56)

#2 2008-06-03 13:38:19

andi
Administrator
Website

Re: Doku Wiki - the right choice?

FrancesTheMute wrote:

I want to relauch our sport clubs homepage. We are 6 teams and we want to have a unrestricted information area [readable for everyone] as well as a restriced area [readable for all team members, editable by the 6 team leaders (adresses, phone number etc)]. No big thing, so text files should do it.

Sounds like the perfect task for DokuWiki. Use multiple namespaces to separate each area, then assign permissions to the different team groups and leaders.

FrancesTheMute wrote:

Could DokoWiki be the right choice for me? How easy is it to learn (on a scale from 1 to 10 - or compared to OddMuse)?

I can not say anything about OddMuse, but to answer your question, I'd give DokuWiki a 2 (assuming 1 is eating a piece of cake and 10 is assembling a space shuttle from a stack of banana peels wink).

Careful: I'm the lead developer of WikiMatrix and DokuWiki so my posts may be biased ;-)

#3 2008-06-03 13:47:27

FrancesTheMute

Anything below 4 is fine for me I guess wink I already had a glance on the documentation and decided to give it a try (if I succeed, I'll send you the URL)

#4 2008-07-28 06:14:33

_sebastian_

DokuWiki syntax is really easy.

in the beginning have a separate window with the syntax open while you write and after no time you will know all the syntax you use on a regular basis.

It took me a while to get my wiki started and find the right structure (namespaces, entry page) but with a existing (even outdated) page you should have some ideas of how you want to structure it.

Don't be afraid big_smile

seb

happy wife = happy life

You are not logged in.

Board footer